hard2 stop

I am a self motivated, independent female looking for answers. Aren't we all.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Paper or Plastic

I got out of bed the other morning as usual. Since I live alone I proceeded to get ready for my day. I got dressed, combed my hair, and got in my car to drive to work. It wasn't until I was half way to work I realized I forgot my breakfast and lunch. That meant I had to stop at the local supermarket prior to starting my work day. I don't know about you but I am not a morning person and should not be bothered for at least an hour after I wake up. It had not been an hour.
I walked through the isles looking for something appealing and went to the register to make my purchase. What is the first question of the day for me? Paper or plastic? No hello, how are you today. Paper or plastic? I wanted to ask if it was a rhetorical question as if it really matters, but I did not.
I know it may sound crazy but in the mere seconds it took to answer the question thoughts just raced through my head. I am as ecologically minded as the next person. I would like fresh air to breathe and uncluttered land to view , so this question brought some angst to my mind first thing in the morning. If I choose paper I am committing to cutting down the trees that produce vital oxygen. I am not a tree huger by any means , but I do like oxygen. Then again if I choose the plastic it will sit in our landfills for years, it will not breakdown longer than I may be alive.
I took a deep breath and had the lady bag my items. As I left the store the debate still going on in my head. Which is better paper or plastic? Which one would you choose?

...ps I chose plastic ( paper doesn't hold up well when frozen foods start to sweat)

1 Comments:

  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger RedNeckGirl said…

    I am a plastic gal myself....but I do recycle my bags.....so less guilt on the landfill issue.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home